Regional Census Fund
Application deadline has been extended from October 16th at 5pm to 11:59pm. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The Regional Census Fund maximizes the impact of public and philanthropic resources to support the desired outcome of a robust, fair and accurate 2020 Census count across King County, Washington and to create a model for community mobilization beyond.
REGIONAL FUNDING GOALS
The overarching desired outcomes of this effort are to organize, inform, activate, and assist residents in historically underrepresented communities that are at risk of being undercounted in the 2020 Census.
Eligible organizations are invited to apply for $5,000-$20,000 for 2020 Census related activities. Organizations can request any amount within the range. Grant amounts will depend on scope of work.
We are prioritizing applications from community-based and grassroots nonprofits and tribes that:
- Are led, staffed, or guided by individuals reflecting the race, ethnicity, and culture of the communities being served;
- Showcase a history or demonstrated ability to reach and engage members from their communities; and
- Have a plan for engaging historically undercounted communities.
The list of priority populations for the Regional Census Fund include:
- Communities and people of color (e.g., African American, Latinx, Pacific Islanders)
- Indigenous persons
- Recent refugee communities
- Low-income persons
- Persons experiencing homelessness
- Persons with mental or physical disabilities
- Non-English speakers and English Language Learners
- LGBTQIA persons
- Children under 5
- Geographic localities (e.g., rural)
APPLICANT ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- Organizations with tax-exempt 501(c)(3) status, and/or tribes
- Community groups fiscally sponsored by a 501(c)(3) organization
- Organizations and coalitions working in the identified historically undercounted communities and geographies
Census Education, Outreach, and Assistance – $5,000 to $20,000
Funding supports organizations in raising awareness around the 2020 Census, including outreach, education, and questionnaire assistance. This funding can support events, tabling, or other integration of census related activities.
Examples of funding activities include:
- Local nonprofits and community-based groups create trainings, awareness campaigns, and educational materials about the census.
- Outreach activities in their diverse communities to educate and create awareness about the census.
- Direct support with questionnaire assistance and communications support such as internet access, language translation, and other accessibility accommodations.
- Workshops, public campaigns, and informal gatherings to address census-related concerns and questions.
- Trainings with nonprofits on effective outreach tactics and methods for identifying and engaging historically undercounted communities.
- Outreach efforts and messaging during nonresponse follow-up phase.
We are offering public information sessions to provide information about this grant opportunity:
- South King County – 9/23 from Noon to 1:00 PM at Kent City Hall Centennial (400 W Gowe St, Kent, WA 98032). In partnership with the South King County 2020 Census Table.
- East King County – 9/24 from Noon to 1:00 PM at Kirkland City Hall (123 5th Ave, Kirkland, WA 98033). In partnership with Cities of Kirkland, Redmond, Bellevue and the East King Communities Count Committee.
- North King County – 9/24 from 7-8am at Kenmore City Hall (18120 68th Ave NE, Kenmore, WA 98028). In partnership with the Kenmore Complete Count Committee.
- Seattle –10/4 from 1:00- 2:30 at Center for Community Engagement Seattle (1223 E Cherry Street. Seattle, WA 98122). Contact email@example.com for details.
HOW TO SUBMIT A PROPOSAL AND CONTACT INFORMATION
We encourage that proposals are submitted online. Online proposals must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on October 16, 2019. To apply, please register for a Survey Monkey Apply account. You can either register as an organization or individual to apply. Only 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(3) fiscally sponsored organizations are eligible to receive funding.